Interactive Ontario (IO) is the not-for-profit trade association representing the video game and interactive digital media (IDM) industry in Ontario.
IO is driven by its Mission to inspire, unite and enable Ontario’s Video Game and Interactive Digital Media community to achieve long-term growth and prosperity.
IO works with industry on advocacy issues that matter. Some IO wins over the last 2 years:
- Getting a commitment from the Ontario government – during the 2021 Fall Economic Statement delivered by Minister of Finance Peter Bethlenfalvy – that they will continue to explore opportunities to work with the digital media industry to attract more investment and create jobs in Ontario. This is the direct result of meetings IO has had over the last months with high-level politicians to discuss our industry and its opportunities.
- Lowering the labour threshold for annual filing to the Ontario Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit (OIDMTC) from $1M to $500K.
- Reducing the OIDMTC queue and accelerating processing time.
- Getting a commitment from Minister MacLeod to keep the OIDMTC stable.
- Providing recommendations contributing to improvements of the Ontario Creates Interactive Digital Media Fund (IDM Fund) and the Canada Media Fund (CMF) programs.
- Resolving a thorny issue for the industry with the CMF re. its insurance requirements.
- Instigating the creation of the Phase 2 COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for the IDM industry (CMF and Canadian Heritage).
- Significantly raising awareness of our industry at all levels of governments.
IO collaborates with all industry stakeholders incl. fellow provincial organizations under the Canadian Interactive Alliance / l’Alliance Interactive Canadienne (CIAIC) as well as the Entertainment Software Association of Canada (ESAC) to further our industry.
IO provides business development opportunities to the industry via a unique funding resources database, missions, B2B events, an industry directory and personal connections.
IO connects the industry via its Discord and events.
IO provides professional development opportunities via specialized programs and talks.
IO promotes the industry to key stakeholders and via our newly launched www.thelodgge.com, where we celebrate and raise awareness of our industry with news, podcasts, Twitch events, jobs, industry events and a unique Ontario games library.
And more as described in the membership table.