30 hours per week
The Webmaster serves as the primary contact for all aspects of Interactive Ontario’s (IO) websites, handling a range of responsibilities that may include web/UX design and development, routine site and content maintenance, and various updates to ensure sites align with the goals and objectives of the company. Our ideal candidate has a combination of technical savvy and creative know-how to make IO’s online presence functional, appealing, and easily found on the Internet.
Funded by Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada as part of their Digital Skills for Youth (DS4Y) Program creating employment opportunities for young Canadians to build the digital skills needed for the evolving digital economy.
Duties and responsibilities
- Serves as the primary contact and manager for all aspects of the organization’s websites (www.interactiveontario.com and www.thelodgge.com).
- Encourages and facilitates consistent, creative, and unified web design across the organization’s web properties.
- Develops and maintains internet and intranet portals, forms, and structures in accordance with the organization’s needs; collaborates closely with Communications Lead, Director of Programs, President & CEO, and other invested staff.
- Maintains membership platform in collaboration with the organization’s membership operations, marketing, and related departments.
- Collects and analyzes web analytics and similar data; identifies opportunities to improve search engine optimization (SEO), time on site, web traffic, and other relevant metrics.
- Maintains and documents ownership of companies internet domains.
- Assists employees with use of company websites through one-on-one support, user guides, and training sessions.
- Ensures compliance with company policies, procedures, and ethical standards; software licenses; and applicable provincial and federal laws and regulations including data security, privacy, and intellectual property laws.
- Maintains current knowledge of best practices and emerging developments in web/UX design, web development, and technology.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and skills
- Expertise with Wild Apricot Membership Management Platform is an asset.
- Working knowledge of WordPress development, knowledge of the Avada/Elementor themes is an asset.
- Understanding of and proficiency in Google Data Studio and/or Airtable;
- Working knowledge of website management, analytics, UX/design, and SEO best practices and standards.
- Basic knowledge of graphic design principles and software (eg. Canva, Adobe Suite) is an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of content strategy and UX/UI design.
- Experience with basic copywriting is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient with Google Suite or related software.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills.
- Interest in and knowledge of the video game/interactive digital media industry in Ontario is an asset.
Education and Experience:
- Educational background in Computer Science, Web/UX Development, SEO/Google Analytics or related field required.
- Demonstrated equivalent professional experience may be substituted for education.
- Post-secondary graduate
- Underemployed (employed below their level of education, work part-time or unemployed)
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Available to work up to six months (26 weeks)
To apply, please send a short cover letter and resume in PDF format to:
Deadline to apply: Friday, May 27, 2022 by 5pm ET